GUNMEN ATTACK COURT, FREES 6 MURDER AND KIDNAP SUSPECTS
Authorities have launched a manhunt for gunmen who attacked the High Court in Barkin Ladi, aiding the escape of 6 criminal suspects on Thursday, July 23.
Report says the gunmen stormed the court at about 10 am and started shooting sporadically after the arrival of 10 inmates brought from Jos prison for trial.
According to the statement released by Nigeria Correctional Service, the attackers were able to successfully aid the escape of 6 of the inmates had been released from handcuffs, while 4 who still had their handcuffs on were apprehended and taken to police Divisional Headquarters.
Some of the inmates
The Nigeria Correctional Service says all of the fugitives are facing trial for culpable homicide.
Authorities suspect the gunmen came to facilitate the release of Bashiru Mohammed, who is alleged to have killed about 20 persons.
The combined teams of operatives from the police, OPSH, NSCDC, and immigration have intensified efforts to capture the gunmen and fugitives.