The Lagos State Government has commenced an investigation into the death of a student of Dowen College, Sylvester Oromoni Jnr, who died from injuries he allegedly sustained after he was beaten by his colleagues that wanted him to join their secret cult group.

In a statement by the spokesman of the Ministry of Education, Ganiu Lawal, the State Government sympathized with the family of the deceased student and are in touch with his parents.

The statement reads in part: “The Lagos State Government sends its condolences to the parents of 12-year-old Sylvester Oromoni Jnr., a student of Dowen College, Lekki.


“The Commissioner for Education, Mrs. Folasade Adefisayo, notes that this incident is shocking and the State is indeed sad about this great loss.

“A delegation comprising top level management of relevant Ministries, Departments and Agencies and the Police, has visited the school on a fact-finding mission.

 “The State Government is in touch with the parents in this difficult time.

“We reassure the family of the late Sylvester Oromoni Junior and Lagosians at large that efforts are being made  to unravel the circumstances leading to his demise, even as we reiterate the Government’s commitment to Child Protection.”

The death of the late Sylvester Oromoni has sparked reactions on social media after it was said that some fellow students beat him up following his refusal to join a secret cult.

It has also been alleged that some of the students who beat the deceased have been flown abroad by their families.

The management of Dowen College has however reacted to the claims that one of its pupils was beaten to death by his colleagues because he refused to join a cult. 

Reacting in a press statement, the school claimed the deceased sustained injuries while playing football and was given immediate medical attention by the school's resident nurse.

The statement reads, “It is with a heavy heart that we received the news of the sad demise of one of our dearly beloved children.

“On the 21st day of November 2021, one of the Hostel Parents reported to management that the young boy was injured while playing football. The resident registered nurse immediately administered first aid on him and after he expressed relief, was released to return to his hostel room.’’

Follow us on Twitter and get exclusive news as it breaks


Join WhatApp Group