LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT DEBUNKS REPORTS CLAIMING IT SPONSORED THUGS TO DISRUPT THE #ENDSARS PROTEST IN ALAUSA
The Lagos State Government has debunked reports claiming it sponsored thugs to disrupt the #ENDSARS protest in Alausa.
Recall, earlier on Thursday, October 15, armed thugs disrupted the peaceful #ENDSARS protest in Alausa, Lagos State.
The State Government was alleged to have deployed the thugs to the scene of the protest to disrupt the movement.
However, the State Government has responded in a statement on Thursday, October 15, saying the reports are ‘untrue and wicked’.
It said such allegations were obviously concocted by enemies of peace and orderliness to ‘whip up sentiments’ against the Government.
Read Also: FG, ASUU SETS FOR MEETING TO RESOLVE STRIKE
The Government said it has been doing everything possible to resolve the crisis by identifying with youths in their efforts towards police reforms.
“Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has been preaching peace. So has the Deputy Governor, who addressed the protesters last Friday. The Governor has addressed them twice – at the Lekki Toll Gate and at the House of Assembly.
Besides, the Governor visited the President to tender their five-point demand. He ensured that all the protesters arrested by the police were released unconditionally.
As a government, we will never encourage thuggery or any act of violence that may put the lives and businesses of Lagosians at risk. We are strongly committed to ensuring that our youths, who have taken to the streets to air their views, are well protected.
This should be a sober time for us all as we struggle to reverse the negative effects of COVID-19 on our economic and social lives, even as the experts are warning that a second wave is likely if we shun the safety guidelines we have all agreed to embrace,” the statement reads.
The Government revealed its enemies, who are not happy that Lagos is not on fire, are the ones concocting lies that it was sponsoring thugs to attack protesting youths.
It is pertinent to mention that the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, responded to the situation, by condemning the attack, and said security personnel will immediately be deployed to protect peaceful protesters from miscreants.
In the last one week, Nigerians across the country have come out en masse to protest against the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), notorious for brutalizing, harassing, extorting, exploiting, and killing defenceless citizens.